Celebrating life's everyday hidden and unexpected treasures. Turning ordinary moments into extraordinary experiences.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Happy Pi Day!

A few years ago my oldest son bounded through the front door and said, "Happy Pi Day!" By the look on my face he knew I was puzzled.  He then asked me the date.  After gathering my thoughts I said, "March 14th" to which he said, "Get it? It's Pi Day not Pie Day". He went on to tell me that the ratio of a circle's circumference to it's diameter is 3.14 and during math class that day the teacher had brought in Moon Pies for them to measure (and eat) along with cookies and other round items.  Somewhere in the cobwebs of my brain I remembered that number, but didn't remember it's significance.  Oh well, it didn't matter because I knew exactly what we'd be having for dinner that night. Homemade Pizza Pi!

Pizza is one of my all time favorite foods.  Since I was born and raised in southeastern Pennsylvnia, just outside of Philadelphia, I am very partial and grateful to the wonderful Pizzerias around my old neighborhood for authentic Italian pizza.  Many of the owners of these shops were first and second generation Italian immigrants. From tasty calzones, stromboli and fettucini alfredo to delicious canoli's eating in any of these places was always a treat.  My two sisters who still live in my hometown continue to frequent Via Veneto's on Markley Street.  When I lived in North Carolina my other sister and I fell in love with Lorenzo's Pizza which took us way back home to our childhood.

So tonight in honor of Pi Day why not make a homemade pizza?  I sometimes buy premade pizza dough from the grocery store when I don't have time to make the dough myself.  I also have a bread maker which works beautifully.  You probably have some of the ingredients in your pantry and frig already. Just add some candle light, pull out your Frank Sinatra, Andrea Bocelli or Pavarotti CD's and mama mia! That's Amore!

Basic Pizza Dough (Makes 2 12 inch crusts)
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Let stand for 10 minutes.

2. In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and olive oil.  Stir in yeast mixture.  When the dough pulls togeter, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic for about 8 minutes.  Put dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat in oil.  Cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until it doubles in size. (About 45 minutes)

3.  Divide the doubled dough in half and either hand press or roll out and place on a pizza stone or pan.

4. Cover with sauce then add favorite toppings.

5. Bake @ 400 degrees for twenty minutes.


2 comments:

  1. Joan,

    You must be a professional cook or caterer. Every dish that you have featured looks so very good. Are you sure that you are baking this dishes? Just kidding. I want pizza tonight too.

    ReplyDelete