Celebrating life's everyday hidden and unexpected treasures. Turning ordinary moments into extraordinary experiences.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Over Fifty Years Of Friendship

My father turned eighty years old recently and we celebrated his birthday with friends and family at his favorite Chinese restaurant.  It was a surprise and my father, who is NEVER speechless, was dumbfounded.  It only took him a nanosecond to put two and two together and make his way around the room hugging and thanking everyone for coming.  It was one of the most moving moments I've ever experienced.  Most of the people in attendance have known my parents since before my brother, sisters and I were born.  That's over fifty years!  It was also heartwarming to see individuals in attendance who were forty years my father's junior.

Several people had the opportunity to give remarks on how they'd met my father and shared some funny stories.  The common thread that ran through everything the guests said was how much of a friend my father had been to them.  They could always count on my dad whenever they needed help or a laugh.  I'm happy to say that every word is true.

In recent years my father has sat by the bedside of  several friends as they've drawn their last breath.  I believe what comforted them most is that they knew that my father would continue to be there for their loved ones.  He is a loyal, true friend.  It's no wonder that my friends and the friends of my siblings call my father "Dad" or "Pop Corley".

My father has a great sense of humor.  I believe that's part of the secret to his long life.  My good friend and fellow blogger Theda recently blogged about the importance of laughter on her blog Tuesday Talks, check it out.  Since my father has such a great sense of humor I could have loads of fun with the goody bags for his party.  The goody bags contained homemade bath salts scented with eucalyptus oil.  One of my sons and I designed a label to place on the goody bags that read: "Andy's Tired Old Butt Soaking Salts".  Attached to the soaking salts was a card that had phrases that my father is known for saying.  He and all of his friends got a kick out of the labels.  Needless to say it was an extraordinary experience.



4 comments:

  1. Joan,

    You are so very Blessed to have such loving parents who are still alive. The parting gifts were also nice. Great Job Party Planner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative--love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great time with mom and dad. I love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting. We had a blast! Pop is a gem!

    ReplyDelete